Director - SC&H Group
Areas of Mike’s expertise are in auditing privately-held companies, non-profits, and governmental entities. While providing auditing services for one company, he and his team uncovered significant fraud. Ultimately, Mike quantified the fraud, a settlement was negotiated, and the reasons for repeated financial statement errors and weak internal controls were corrected. Since then, he provided oversight and recommendations that vastly improved the company’s controls and identified numerous ways to increase its operating efficiencies.
Mike’s depth of understanding and knowledge repeatedly proves invaluable to his clients. In addition to performing traditional tax and audit services, he is an expert in business valuation and litigation support. His client engagements include calculation of economic damages and fraud investigations, and he frequently serves as an expert witness in fraud cases and other litigation matters.
Mike and his team also specialize in event-driven business valuation for estate and gift tax, financial and tax planning, mergers & acquisitions, as well as in best practices financial reporting. His clients are in diverse industries, including retail, distribution, manufacturing, high-tech, non-profit and professional services.
For a variety of businesses, agencies, and educational institutions, Mike provides internal governance assurance that controls and accounting processes are operating effectively and are appropriately designed. Meeting with clients throughout the year to keep them apprised of audit requirements and standards as they affect their industries, Mike’s clients rely on him to provide meaningful recommendations that help them in the assessment of their businesses. He also works closely with the SC&H Tax practice, supplying audit results of clients that use both Tax and Audit services at SC&H.
Mike is a former audit and business advisory service manager for a “Big 4” accounting firm, and the former CFO of a $25 million, regional retailer and contractor. He joined SC&H and was promoted to Partner in 1995. Mike is a member of SC&H’s Executive Committee, where he oversees operations and business development across the firm’s various practice areas and service lines.
Graduating with highest honors from Towson University, Mike holds a B.S. in Business and Accounting, and is an Accredited Business Valuator (ABV), a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). He holds active memberships in the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants (MACPA), and the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts.
Mike takes an active role in his community, having served as president as well as on the board of the ARC of Baltimore, an organization which he continues to serve as Treasurer. He is also a Board member and Treasurer for the Independent College Fund of Maryland and a Finance Committee Member for the Walters Art Museum of Baltimore.
- Overview of the New AICPA Guide “Testing Goodwill for Impairment – Accounting and Valuation Guide”
- Helping Nonprofits Grow, Flourish, and Thrive (Video)
- The Benefits of Benchmarking a Not-for-Profit Organization’s Financial Results [White Paper]
- Not-for-Profit Essentials: The New FASB Project on Financial Reporting [White Paper]
- Five Ways to Find and Retain Donors in the Changing Landscape of Giving [Blog Post]
- The DOL’s New Overtime Rules: What Employers Need to Know [Blog Post]
- Compliance Alert: Maryland’s New Sanctions for Misclassifying Independent Contractors [Blog Post]
- Supporting a Growing Industry: Mike Young Discusses New Advisory Practice Serving Maryland’s Medical Cannabis Companies [Video]
- Understanding and Planning for Section 280E as a Medical Cannabis Business [Blog Post]